Friday, July 30, 2010

First Pedi Visits

Cate had her first Pedi appointment on Monday July 19th, the day after we got home from the hospital. Dr. T wanted to see her a little earlier than usual because she was nearing the 10% weight loss mark. She wasn’t alarmed, just wanted to see her Monday instead of Tuesday. Cate’s first appointment went great! Here are a few pics:


She weighed in at 6lbs 12oz, 25th% which was higher than what she last weighed in the hospital. Goal achieved!!! Her measurements were 19inches, 40th%, and head circ was 34.6, 45th%. Our instructions were to keep feeding every 2-3 hours, continue to log feedings, pees, and poops, and see if we could get her back up to or above her birth weight of 7lbs 5 oz, by her 2 week appointment. We went back on Wednesday the 28th, and this appointment was even better than the first!!! I thought she was getting heavier, just trying to hold her in one arm while trying to nurse, I could tell a difference, so I knew she had gained some. Matt and could also tell she was a lil thicker in the mid section. So we were hoping for good news. Her measurements were… drum roll please……………………… 8LBS, 1OZ, 50th%, 19 ¾ inches, 25th%, and head circ, 35.9, 45th%!!!! We could not believe it! The nurse weighed her first, and actually the scale read 8-4!!! Dr. T couldn’t believe it, she said that was “unusual,” but she wasn’t concerned if it was all breast milk. Yep, we did it, all 100% breast milk!!! She still wanted to weigh her again, so when she did, Cate tipped the scale at 8-1, but she did have a wet diaper in between, so she probably was closer to 8-4. Dr. told us that we were doing a fabulous job, to keep it up, and now we could let her sleep longer at night!!!!! WHAT??? Already??? We totally weren’t expecting that. She said to keep feeding her every 3 hours or so during the day, but then after her night feeding, whenever we are ready to go to bed, 10-11, just feed her and put her down, and she can just wake us when she is hungry! AHHHHH more sleep at last! The whole sleep thing hadn’t been too bad thus far. I was still getting the 6 or so hours I need, but it was just broken up, so I was definitely a little tired here and there and taking a nap or two during the day. We have only had two nights of this so far, the first night she slept from 11pm to 4am, last night, more of the good sleep was between 3am and 8am. So hopefully we will get in a pattern soon, but I told Matt we SO can’t complain. She is such a great baby. We still have to wake her to feed her during the day, trying everything and even resorting to a cold washcloth to wipe her face and such cause she just will not wake up sometimes=) She no likey the cold rag=) So we are just to continue this pattern, and we go back for her one month checkup in a couple more weeks. I told Matt I just feel this huge relief off my chest, almost like I don’t have to study for a test anymore. I think most new mommies are so stressed from the whole hospital experience, (we were so happy to be home and have NO interruptions), but once we got home, I/we were constantly worried/thinking about logging her feeding, is she getting enough, am I eating enough, staying hydrated, doing everything I am suppose to do for this little life I am providing for now??? And it just felt like everything was confirmed and now I could finally relax and be more comfortable with my “routine”. I didn’t realize just how much I was constantly logging feedings and dirty diapers, watching the clock, etc. Let me happily say the past two days of not doing that are a whole other world=) Still busy yes, but just more relaxed. I am nursing, which is going really well, and got to the point this week where I could pump some extra, and Matt got to give Cate her first bottle yesterday! So sweet! You could tell that she knew it was different, but she did great and didn’t mind it was from a bottle, she gobbled it down in no time=)

Here she is all dolled up and ready to go to the Dr.

Daddy giving Cate her first bottle

YUM!

2 comments:

Melody Forest McKee said...

So sweet! Becky, I think she looks SOOO much like you in the last picture!

Jamie said...

that's so great! so happy for y'all!