Wednesday, October 6, 2010

You may want to grab a cup of coffee...

because this will probably turn into a long post. First of all, let me remind you all that this blog is definitely FYE, (for your entertainment=) but it's also a "journal" for myself, our lives, and things that I don't mind sharing=) Also, here lately I feel like all I post about is Cate, who pretty much consumes my life 24/7, and I LOVE IT!!!, but I also want to try to blog about other things, just here lately, it's hard to find the time since I am trying to capture all these "firsts" and VERY important milestones!!!=) Anyways, this post is a little different, hope you enjoy, maybe relate, and take a minute to really appreciate what you have.
The past couple of weeks have been, well let's just say "different" (and I will just say different, because the things that have impacted me have all been VERY different things). Many events have happened recently, not necessarily to me, but to friends and loved ones I know, that sometimes it feels like something happened to me because I am so close to them, and lately, well, everything just kind of hit and really put things/life/the journey I am on, into perspective. As I go for my morning jogs with Cate, I wish I would have just had a video blog and could talk it all out, but I probably would be out of breath=), I mean, it's only a 30lb stroller with a 14.5 pound chunk of cuteness in it. YES, that's right, 14.5 POUNDS!!!, that I am pushing up and down the lovely steady inclined hills in our neighborhood. So maybe it's a good thing I just think as I run, walk, and enjoy the beautiful mornings and we have been so privileged to have lately.
So basically, to sum everything up, I realize yet again, and am SO thankful for my life, people and family in my life, especially my husband, and my beautiful, healthy baby girl, that by the way is 2.5 months and in 6 month clothes!!!=) LOVE it!
A few months ago, a friend and classmate of Matt's, Justin, told Matt that him and his wife were expecting!! Fabulous news right?!? Being that we just welcomed Cate Elisabeth into this world, it was so exciting to hear that they were now enduring this incredible journey of parenthood as well! Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago, Matt came home, said they went to the Dr. found out they were having a little girl, and they also found out that Justin's wife has cancer, stage 3 melanoma. (You can follow her story if you want here. Things are going very well for them so far on their journey!) What?!?! That was exactly my expression too. I couldn't believe it. She is just suppose to be pregnant, NOT pregnant with cancer. My heart just sank for them, and I was literally in a state of shock for a while. I began to think of the emotional roller coaster of being pregnant, hoping and praying that the pregnancy would go well, and focusing all of your life on bringing this new life into this world, then having everything rocked by that news. It just made me really be thankful and appreciate again, the wonderful pregnancy we had and now this precious baby girl. So, that's been one of the things on my mind here lately, following her story, hoping and praying everything goes ok for them, and trusting that it will. Also, it has made me take time to take care of my own health. I made dermatologist appointments for Matt and I both, to get full body scans and will continue to do that yearly, not sure why at 27 I haven't done it yet, probably because I used to think it can't happen to me... anyways, it's something I would definitely encourage others to do as well!=)
Another event... the shooting at UT. I turned on the TV that Tuesday morning, thinking I would just watch Ellen while we ate breakfast, and instead found non stop coverage that there was a shooter on the UT campus. SO scary. Having gone to UT, and been in the PCL a number of times, I just couldn't imagine the fear those innocent students, teachers, workers, etc. were facing. Knowing too that Matt attends class there two nights a week, just around the corner from that library... SCARY. You can't help but think WHY? Why would someone want to do that? Sometimes when I go to a public place, the thought crosses my mind how safe it really is. I know we shouldn't live in fear, but sometimes, with what goes on in this crazy world, it's hard, because you just never know. Thankfully, there were no innocent victims that day.
A close friend of mine lost a childhood friend last week in an unfortunate car accident. It's so sad and hard to grasp and try to understand why, how, why was it her time? Why now? It just shows that everything happens in HIS timing, and you may not ever understand the reason, you don't know why that that is part of your journey. You have to accept it, even though you may not think you have the strength to do so, and may not want to do so, you just find a way.
Some other friends of mine also had some sad and unfortunate news given to them, that I won't go into detail about, or even say what it is. I will say that my heart just hurts for them, and am keeping them in my prayers that they can and will get thru this tough time, and have strength to continue on this journey. It's another situation where they are in a state of shock, disbelief and ask, why me? I wish I could take it all away for them, but I can't, no one can. I know that something good, something VERY good is in store for them, I just know it!
I think that you hear a lot that life is short, live it to the fullest, appreciate what you have, you aren't guaranteed tomorrow, etc. etc., and I don't really live by those, but all of these recent happenings have really made me appreciate even more what I have, and have reminded me again to not take anything for granted, really thank God everyday for what I have. Sometimes I even feel guilty. Why did we get pregnant so easily, why did we have such an easy pregnancy, why were we able to have such an incredibly perfect and healthy baby girl??? Why do I get to go home to my husband and family?... I had a conversation with a close friend a while back, and we talked about it being "all about the journey." "It" being this life that God has given us. I believe He gives us this life, and the time that you have on your journey. EVERYONE's is different, and it is planned out that way. People are put in your lives for a reason, and you can, whether you realize it or not, probably learn a lot from, well let's just say, some of them=) You have friends and family who are there for you, even though you may think they may not be able to relate to your situation, because they have never experienced it themselves, but they feel for you and hurt too. They have probably been through something challenging themselves, or maybe their challenge is yet to come. You learn along the way that the road isn't always easy, but as I heard my mom said recently, God doesn't give you anything you can't handle! That is so right Mom! It may be a tough journey, but one definitely worth living!



2 comments:

Kris and Ashley said...

Great post! It brought tears to my eyes! And I agree with every point you made.

The Balch Bunch said...

Good post!

The +3 means you get 3 extra entries into the giveaway!!


Also, I have a BOB jogging stroller which I LOVE but I need something smaller and maybe lighter to lug around for short trips to stores etc.... What is that one you have??